Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The front porch.

I really enjoy my front porch.  In the spring and summer months, I enjoy having my first cup of coffee of the day while sitting in my rocker on the porch with my sweet Mama Cat at my side.  She loves to go out on the porch and sit in her "throne", and survey her "subjects".  Her "subjects" are the neighborhood feral cats that I leave food and water for year round.  She lets them know who is Queen of the Castle, if they dare to venture too close to Her Royal Highness.  She has a mean left hook, and she loves to slap the tomcats right in the face! 


I bought two Boston ferns at the local supermarket, Super One Foods, and divided them to make four hanging baskets.  I water them every day because it is very hot and dry here in Texas.  Also they are fed with Miracle Grow at least once a week to keep their dark green color. 



I had the porch replaced a year ago.  The front seal beams on the house had rotted and Roger, my contractor, had to jack up the house, replace the beams, tear off the old rotted porch floor, and install a new floor.  Then he stained it, and also painted the porch ceiling a light blue.  The old Southern custom to paint porch ceilings "haint blue" was because ghosts, haints, or spirits supposedly cannot cross water.  So they would not be able to enter your house because they thought the blue ceiling was water.  

The front flower bed had an old overgrown boxwood hedge.  Roger had to cut it back so drastically in order to do the carpentry on the porch that it looked awful.  The whole back side of the hedge was just bare sticks.  So one day I said, "Roger, do you have your chainsaw with you?"  He said,
"Now what are you thinking about?"  But he did admit after the hedge was leveled to the ground, that it did open up the porch and make it look a lot better.  I actually thought that the hedge would come back from the roots, so I planted Knockout roses, perennials, and annuals around the stumps, and mulched heavily.  However, the boxwoods gave up the ghost, so I now have a front bed that I am proud of, and I get lots of compliments on it from neighboors, or even strangers who stop to compliment it.








I recently bought a Ninja frozen drink maker, and I love to sit on the porch and sip a delicious fruit smoothie for breakfast.  Mama cat likes them too, I always give her a little taste.

I bought this blue gazing ball and stand on sale at Hobby Lobby and planted a dark blue salvia next to it.  Also I picked up this yellow butterfly stake.  I like it because it sways and the wings flutter in the breeze.  I hope you enjoyed your tour of my porch, you are welcome to visit any time.





8 comments:

  1. I've always admired houses with front porches. I only have a covered patio in the back we do love it but never get to see the world go by like we would if we had a front porch. Thanks for sharing. Warm hugs, Esther

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit, Esther. Mama Cat and I really enjoy our front porch. Come by the visit anytime.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful front porch! Thanks for stopping by with your wonderful comment. New Follower!

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jody and Stan, I appreciate your visit. I will follow you as well. Have a great evening.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is Melissa @ DaisyMaeBelle. I also enjoy starting my day on the porch with a cup of coffee! Everything looks so inviting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your visit, Melissa. Porches are just wonderful.

      Delete
  5. Your porch looks beautiful. We had to replace all the boards on our porch too. I see more fairy garden in my future too! Thanks for popping in, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the compliment. Glad you came by the visit. Have fun with the fairies, I know that I do.

    ReplyDelete