Monday, July 30, 2012

Today I will be linking up with Nita at Mod Vintage Life for Mod Mix Monday, and with Metamorphis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch.  I will be giving you a tour of the sitting area in my bedroom.  We painted the walls a medium teal and added white beadboard wainscotting.  The floors are cherry wood laminate, and I really like the contrast with the white beadboard.  I love oriental style furniture, and I recently purchased a coffee table and a chest in black lacquer with mother of pearl inlays and decorations of Geisha girls.  The two pieces were purchased months apart at different thrift stores in Greenville, Texas where I live.

Here are a few pics of these two pieces.

The settee was given to me by my sister.  It was her husband's aunt's who lived in Maryland and worked at the Pentagon. Aunt Frances was a lovely woman, I am honored to have a part of her furnishings in my home. 

I am mixing these pieces with a mid-century Safari or campaign chair.  I really had no idea that it was valuable, I just liked it.  Last week when I was browsing on 1stdibs.com, I was astounded to see a chair almost exactly like mine.  Would anyone like to guess the price of the chair that I am showing here?


Here is a link to the chair on 1stdibs.com,  http://www.1stdibs.com/furniture_item_detail.php?id=531422.  I contacted the dealer and he replied to my email that the chair was listed for: $9,500.00, and was designed by Arne Norell circa, 1964.  Wow!  Who knew?

Here are a few pics of my chair.





I love to have my girlfriends over and make some cocktails and entertain them in my own little art gallery and sitting room.  The art has been collected over the years at thrift stores, Goodwill, estate sales, garage sales, etc.  I hope you enjoyed my tour, and have a great Monday.



8 comments:

  1. I love to spice up a room with pieces like this! I have 4 wall panels just like this in my bedroom. Very pretty look!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jennifer, I appreciate your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful sitting area! I love Oriental fuirniture too and I have some which dominates our home office....Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christine. I am very flattered since your house is so fabulous. I appreciate your visit.

      Delete
  4. Loved your sitting area. Beautiful Oriental pieces!
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy. I was so thrilled to find them at very affordable prices in two different thrift stores. I appreciate your visit.

      Delete